Monday, June 26, 2006

Ankarama

Merhaba,

Turkish computers appear to be really picky about picture posting, so you may have to sit tight and wait with bated breath until I reach a more USB-friendly country (which may or may not be Canada in August).

I had my first day at the Gazi Hastanesi (hospital) today. In tribute to Mike Belding, I feel that my experiences thus far merit a top 5 list of things that shocked me to the core:

1. 30+ degree weather. No AC to be found in the hospital.
2. Sandals, bare legs and t-shirts are standard dress for hospital staff and doctors.
3. Smoking. By doctors. In the hospital.
4. Hand-washing? Manorapid?? Huh??
5. The ever-popular knock AS you open the door into exam room technique is favoured by patients and hospital staff alike.

Well, I'm cheap and my internet time is ticking... don't want to move into the next one hour bracket! To the supermarket!

Casey

2 Comments:

At 12:46, Anonymous Anonymous said...

um .. hand washing ... isn't that like the first thing maybe you would learn in med school as GOOD practice ... ? um .. no?

Sounds like you're having an amazing time Casey, I look forward to further posts and the eventual posting of pictures!

 
At 08:08, Blogger Casey said...

I should clarify: soap, water and the occasional bottle of Manorapid (alcohol hand sanitizer) are indeed available, but using them seems to be a matter of personal choice and not a response ingrained into everyone's skulls.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home